25 October 2011

Betty Dinkel Johnson, August 10, 1926 - October 25, 2011


Friends, I wanted to let you know that my Mom passed away this morning at the age of 85. She told me that she never expected to live to be 85. Life in the nursing home wasn't much fun. She was ready for the next step, whatever that would be. She drifted away quietly in her sleep. A daughter couldn't ask for more.

Mom had a wicked sense of humor. She worked very hard throughout her life, even during the Beaver Cleaver years when other moms made cupcakes and served as Room Mother. She called me bossy (!) and I told her I learned that lesson very well.

Les, her husband and my dad, passed on in 1984 when she was just 58. Their family grew to include children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They loved her. Her brothers and sister, nieces and nephews loved her. And her heart made room for dozens of friendships that spanned decades.

I know that my friends will write notes of condolences and prayers, because that is what caring and compassionate people do. But will you please do me a favor instead?

Just send me a *kiss or a ()hug so I know you read this. And then, IMMEDIATELY call someone special and tell them that you love them. Don't email. Don't post. Call. Tell 'em Betty told you to call. That will be her legacy. Waves of love.

Our last words to each other were "I love you." That will carry me through the lonely times. I want you to hear those words from someone you love. And the easiest way to encourage someone to say it is to say it first.

Betty Dinkel Johnson
August 10, 1926 to October 25, 2011
Rest in Peace

14 comments:

  1. ()...what a beautiful tribute to you mom and I will help spread Betty's Waves of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, I am very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. You are in my thoughts at this time. As I tribute to Betty, I'm off to make some phone calls...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how close you were to you mom. I am sure that she is looking down on you with much pride for you are truly an extraordinary person.***(())

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Paula, my heart goes out to you. What a wonderful woman to inspire a wonderful tribute. I'm making a phone call right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Paula you look like her! Blessed are the mothers of genealogist for they will be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love and {{{{Hugs}}}} to you Paula! On the way to the phone...making my tribute to Betty, may she rest in peace. More love and hugs!!!!

    XXXXXXOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula, I am so sorry you lost your mom. My thoughts and prayers go out to you both. Now, I have a few phone calls to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs to you and sincere condolences on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, thoughtful, and respectful tribute, Paula. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss, Paula. I lost my mom 10 years ago, so I know how hard it is. {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  11. ((((Hugs)))) It has been twelve years since my mother passed away and I still miss her. You made a beautiful tribute to your mother. Now for the phone calls....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big Hugs to you and your family, Paula. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your mother, and your final request of us proves it. {{{{}}}}}} Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} and love to you, Paula. Lost my mom last year, my heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HUDS AND KISSES AND HUGS AND KISSES AND IF YOU NEED MORE I WILL BE READY WITH MORE! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete